Blacksmith shop in 1923 – 22-A 4th St E
Joseph Laundrie (1879-1966) was a well-known Cornwall blacksmith. He followed the pattern of many of his relatives who lived to their late 80s and 90s. In the 1927 Directory we find him operating at 22-A Fourth Street East and living at 306 7th St. W. The shop appears on the 1916 and 1923 Fire Insurance Maps, but is gone by the time the 1947 map was printed.
Vacant lot now
Today (2017) the property is an access way to a small parking lot behind the Medical Clinic across from City Hall. A decrepit portion of the former Quality First Laundry building still (barely) stands to its west. In its day the shop was quite handy to the Central House Hotel on Pitt Street.
Blacksmith shop in 1923 – 123-A Pitt St
By 1937 we find him living on Pitt Street in the Glebe (site of the Health Unit today) and operating his business at 123 ½ (later identified as 123-A) Pitt Street. Today it is simply a section of the parking lot behind Koala. That building was formerly identified as possessing an address of 34 St. John’s Lane. It was directly behind what had been the Ottawa Hotel (pictured) at 83 (later re-numbered 123) Pitt Street and also a stone’s throw from the Carleton House Hotel on 1st St. E.
Later Joseph moved the family to 829 York Street (extended family pictured in front of the duplex) and finally to 227 8th St. W. Joseph and his wife Rose Anne (McDonald) raised three children: the late Clifford, the late Doris and Gloria.
Joseph was the eldest of 10 children of John Laundrie and Julia (Boileau) pictured here. After his mother’s death, Joseph’s father re-married and had another five children with Rose Tyo. The Laundries/Landrys are descendants of the original mid-1600s settlers of Ste. Famille (Ille d’Orleans.)
In April 2017, the SD&G Historical Society became the proud recipient of a donation of several of Joseph Laundrie’s blacksmith tools, including his anvil, punches, hammers and wrenches.