Prior to adopting the current system of having all City Councillors being at-large, Councillors represented their geographic ward. Over time the wards increased from two to three to four and then to six in 1957 when much of Cornwall Township was annexed to the City.
These images illustrate the various ward boundaries over time, but in relation to the original Square Mile and to the historic waterfront of circa 1878.
The small blue square in two of the maps represents the Cornwall General Hospital, which was immediately east of the Square Mile. The Town boundary was altered to include the hospital.
Although not illustrated, Beaconsfield was in existence in the Township during the time of the second and third maps. Beaconsfield was in the area currently bounded by Cumberland Street, Water Street West, Brookdale Avenue and Second Street West. Immediately north of Beaconsfield was Laflecheville and Fairview; they were in existence during the time of the third map.
Under the two ward system each ward was entitled to elect two members and those four had the right to choose a fifth. If the four could not agree then the fifth was chosen by the voters. The five elected one among them to serve as president of the Board of Police.
To return to our main post on Historic Cornwall neighbourhoods, please follow this LINK.