The south portion of Gladstone, due to its proximity to the Cornwall Canal, became an area of the former Township which was able to support industry. Since the Town of Cornwall was perceived as running low on new areas for industrial expansion in 1873, the Town annexed the portion of Gladstone south of Montreal Road and named it East Cornwall.
East Cornwall (and all of the rest of the land between Marlborough and McConnell south of Ninth Street, which were part of Lot 7) had been owned by Darby Bergin, then by his widow. Later William Mattice acquired it. Mattice named most of the streets in East Cornwall after his family and friends: Albert, Lennox, Arthur, Edward, Duncan and William.
The pre-existing industry included Mack’s Express Roller Mill (built in 1861), Flack and Van Arsdale Pottery (built in 1864 and changed name in 1868) as well as the Canada Mill (built in 1870) and Dundas Cotton Mills (built in 1870 and renamed in 1903).
Canada’s second industrial facility to be electrically lighted under the direction of Thomas Edison was the Weave Shed at the Canada Mill, April 1883. Follow this LINK to view a related article.
In addition to mills, housing for workers also sprang up in and around the district.
The Harbour and government wharf/deep sea port are at the foot of Edward Street. Improvements began in the late 1950s, which resulted in a fully serviced port of entry harbour. When the Seaway was built in 1956, it was decided that Cornwall would have a port to accommodate shipping and receiving for local factories. The port was established in 1962 and opened in 1967.
Some of the former mills have or will be converted into condos and businesses.
To return to our main post on Historic Cornwall neighbourhoods, please follow this LINK.