East Lorneville was directly opposite Riverview, south of Montreal Road. It included Park Street, the south side of Montreal Road, Alice Street South, St. Lawrence Drive and the former Classical College which became Cornwall College and is now the home of St. Lawrence College Cornwall Campus.
In September 1949 three priests, members of the Clerics of St. Viateur, opened a school with 34 male students at 20,22, and 24 Lawrence Avenue. In 1953 the school started offering “private” or non-government funded post secondary education.
Growing steadily, the Fathers built a new school on Windmill Point. In 1954 the first part of the Windmill Point school was constructed. In 1959 a northwest wing was added and in 1962 there was further expansion.
On its way to becoming a university, in 1964 the College initiated a major fund-raising campaign, however, timing was poor, and the plans “…to coexist with the new St. Lawrence College as a full off-campus college of the University of Ottawa,” (Marin, pg. 359), failed as “…Provincial regulation did not allow for such an arrangement between academic and technical institutions,” (Marin, pg. 359), such as St. Lawrence College. Failure to raise sufficient funds and to integrate with Provincial rules led to the College’s closure in 1968, and the loss of a degree granting institution which had already awarded some 200 Bachelor of Arts degrees.
Windmill Point was joined to the mainland between 1947 and 1950.
To return to our main post on Historic Cornwall neighbourhoods, please follow this LINK.