The Glebe (or Clergy Reserve) was one of the early suburbs in the former Cornwall Township that became a Cornwall neighbourhood on January 1, 1957 when the City annexed much of the Township. The name Glebe no longer appears on Cornwall maps.
Originally the Glebe was bounded on the south by Cornwall (north side of Ninth Street), on the east by Marlborough Street, on the west by Cumberland Street and on the north by the GTR tracks.
Various businesses have come and gone along St. Andrews Road (Pitt Street), such as this family business.
Some of the former residences, such as this one from the Ninth and Cumberland Street area, didn’t come remotely close to today’s building standards.
Sydney Street had been extended just slightly beyond the Square Mile, providing access to the train station in the Glebe.
Among the more widely known properties facing the Glebe was a neighbourhood general store at 933 Marlborough Street.
That area was criss-crossed by rail tracks as seen in this photo from an anonymous donor. This is in the area of Marlborough Street and Tenth Street East looking east towards McConnell Avenue.
In time the area immediately north of the Glebe became populated and was known as the Glebe District. The District was bounded on the south by the GTR tracks, on the east by Marlborough Street, on the west by Cumberland Street and ran north to about Twelfth Street.
The Glebe District included the House of Industry & Refuge on the north side of the Glebe Road (Eleventh Street)
On this 1879 map the Fair Grounds were labelled as a “Race Course”. The 1906 Town Plan labels it as “Cornwall Fair Grounds”. It is referred to as the “Exhibition Grounds” on 1915 and 1937 County maps.
The Fair Grounds were the home of the annual Cornwall Fair as well a handy location close to the Train Station when the Circus came to town.
In 1902-03 a pre-cursor to the current Cornwall Golf and Country Club was located on the west side of Pitt Street across from the Fair Grounds. It was the second in a succession of five golf club sites, culminating with the present site on the former Guy Carleton Colquhoun farm.
To return to our main post on Historic Cornwall neighbourhoods, please follow this LINK.