Street scene, Newington, this postcard is dated 1906.
The same view looking east, 2005.
A late 19th century photograph of a house east of Newington.
Newington was named in 1862 by postmaster Jacob Baker after his birthplace Stoke Newington, in north central London.
In 1905 the village had a population of 250, S.Z. Wets sold agricultural implements and furniture; Sam McAteer and Leonard Thompson were blacksmiths; Leonard TW.J. Melross was the local butcer; J.W. Warner and Son, carriages; H.T. Bowman, cheese and butter; health was looked after by Dr. J.S. Dickey; Leonard Hawn and G.F. Jardine ran general stores; John McAvoy operated the hotel, seen in the near right in the first postcard shown; the village had a branch of the Sterling Bank of Canada and the Thompson brothers were tinkers.
An early 20th century photograph showing a barn raising bee, Newington.
First prize winner, 1963 Newington Fair.
Late 19th century winter scene in Newington, the Newington Hotel is on the right. Newington’s public library was designed in the popular Second Empire style, characterized by the mansard roof. Postcard printed in 1905.
Tintype of a woman and child by Newington “Artist” photographer, James Steen, ca. 1860.
The Newington “twister” touchdown, August 1, 1932.
Historian J.G. Harkness wrote: the “cyclone” …was first seen moving in a south easterly direction through the south western part of Finch Township. It dipped at Newington…and in that locality the greater part of the damage was done. One person described the cloud as jet black extending into the sky and funnel shaped at the top. At Newington it demolished or unroofed 15 buildings including P.J. McEwan’s grist mill, Smith’s cheese factory, the railway station, the house of Mrs. Winters and others, and Mrs. Winters and the two other occupants of her house had a narrow escape. One of the, a young lady, with considerable difficulty persuaded the older lady to go the cellar as the safest place. They had just reached it, when the house was carried away and smashed to bits…Dalton Helmer…was sitting on his mother’s doorstep, when he was carried more than 300 yards, flung against the wall of a building and killed. A hydro-tower constructed of steel and 185 feet high was left on the ground a mass of twisted steel. The storm cut a swath from 150 to 200 feet wide through a bush, carrying limbs and some trees as far as a mile.
Aftermath of the tornado.
This is a selection of photographs and documents in the archives at the Cornwall Community Museum.