A glass paperweight, circa 1900 titled “Old Fort Cornwall” aka Windmill Fort aka Fort Augustus.
The fort 1800 to 1944 was Cornwall’s first museum and opened in 1937.
Constructed in 1800 on the height of land overlooking the St. Lawrence as a windmill, it was converted into a fort in 1838, in response to the Rebellions. The fort was protected by a 12-pounder carronade.
The name Fort Augustus was found on the cover of orderly sergeant Robert Fraser’s daily journal.
Miss Bertha Colquhoun donated the fort to Cornwall Township as a public park in 1929.
Not maintained, the structure became derelict and was demolished in 1944.
Donated to the museum in 1994.