What came first Woodhouse Furniture or the Wood House Museum?
It seems that people and amateur historians continue to confuse the two buildings. The Wood House was built by William Wood circa 1840 on what became 2nd St. West. It became the United Counties and Cornwall’s first museum in 1956. It was relocated to Lamoureux Park in 2000 as the City’s Millennium Project.
Woodhouse Furniture on Pitt Street started business about the same time the museum opened, perhaps this is what has caused the confusion, as people continue to call the museum the Woodhouse, a term that can even be found in a recent historic publication on the City!
Some habits never change.