A handpainted souvenir plaque in the shape of a life-ring with a painting of the “S.S. Rapid’s Prince,” probably in the Long Sault Rapids, 1947. Painted by J. Haroamice.
The tag indicates that this plaque belonged to Canada Steamship Lines, suggesting that the plaque was sold as a souvenir on the vessel.
Donated to the museum in 2010.
The vessel was constructed in 1910 specially to run the Lachine Rapids, one of Canada’s top ten tourist attractions.
This is just a hint of the collection dealing with St. Lawrence riverboats in the archives at the Cornwall Community Museum.