The region North of Fairview and Laflecheville was located in the former Cornwall Township and became a Cornwall neighbourhood on January 1, 1957 when the City annexed much of the Township.
It was bounded on the north by Ninth Street West. on the east by the Town limits (Cumberland Street), on the south by Fifth Street West and on west by what became Brookdale Avenue.
The above view is looking west towards the former Brookdale Mall, which opened in 1968.
In this region was Cornwall’s first multi-faith cemetery, Woodlawn.
It also included various businesses in the area of Seventh Street West between Cumberland Street and Brookdale Avenue.
South side 400 block of 7th Street West ca. 1968.
At one time Gamble-Robinson Ltd operated at 698 Cumberland Street, southwest corner of 7th. This is their premises in 1960. The building would later be home to Westburne Hussey Electric and nowadays Tackaberry Heating and Refrigeration Supplies.
Other historic businesses in this district included St. Lawrence Rendering Co Ltd (410 7th St W.) and Roy’s Pool Supply outlet.
The area currently occupied by Walmart was the site of the former NoCoRode sewer pipe factory. The adjacent Holiday Inn (later Ramada) had not been constructed when this photo was taken, nor had the Ninth Street extension been created.
Along the northern edge of the Domtar/NoCoRode property Don McIntosh operated a trucking company, which evolved into Amazing Waste Disposal. Later Tomlinson Environmental purchased Amazing Waste and re-located to Boundary Road. Thank you to Steve Reynolds for sharing these three historic photos.
Other historic businesses on this site included Max Rabin’s butcher shop which became B&M Quality Meat Markets, followed by a series of restaurants: Mangiano’s, Mangi’s Mediterranean Ristorante, etc.
To return to our main post on Historic Cornwall neighbourhoods, please follow this LINK.