Meghan (Billings) Brown of Vineyard Haven, MA, was pleasantly surprised to locate a photo of her younger self in one of our blog posts. That’s her, half-sitting on the dock post in front of the Chateau Stanley in Summerstown. Chateau Stanley was located across the road from the former Edgewater Inn, constructed of a section of a hotel which had once stood on Stanley Island.
She called to thank us and to offer to contribute other photos to our collection.
In the late 1930s through 1950s her family spent time each summer lodging at Summerstown’s Chateau Stanley. On either side of the door are owners Mr.and Mrs. Ross Annand. Ross Annand had been manager of the Algonquin Hotel (also known as the Duquette Hotel). A section of that hotel made its way to Summerstown. Also in the above photo are the Billings family and Meghan’s friend, Madeleine.
Day trips to nearby Stanley Island and touring/fishing in the area with their trusty guide, Lloyd, were favourite past times. Meghan’s brother, Barron, seems to enjoy steering the boat.
Of course, cooking and eating the catch of the day was par for the course.
Oh, simpler times.
Thank you for sharing, Meghan.
The Algonquin Hotel became a resort in 1880 when Stanley Island was known as Dickinson’s Island (owned by Dr. J.J. Dickinson). The island was leased by the natives to James Craig before being passed to his son and then to Dr. Dickinson, who made improvements and constructed the hotel. The next to lease the island was Donald Ban MacLennan, who built the new Algonquin Hotel, making tremendous improvements to the property for use as a summer resort. Joseph Duquette later obtained the lease and structures from MacLennan’s estate, operating it until his death in 1932. For two years, Duquette’s estate continued operation of the hotel. The Algonquin was popular among the elite of both Canada and the U.S.A.
The name change form Dickinson’s Island to Stanley Island was the result of confusion over similarity of names between the Island and Dickinson’s Landing. The new name was in honour of Lord Stanley, Governor General of Canada.
Duquette added several cottages. Many cottages were also built by others on the island, including that of Judge Liddle.
Do you, also, have a few lazy summer photo memories to share with our followers?