Named after Cornwall physician, humanitarian and politician Darby Bergin, historic Bergin Lake once separated Sheek Island from the mainland in the area of Mille Roches and Moulinette, two of the Lost Villages. The lake was also informally referred to as the Sny River (not to be confused with Snye, QC – part of Akwesasne). Today’s Sheek Island is a fraction of its former size.
Bergin Lake was created by the creation of the Mille Roches power house in 1902 and subsequently filled in with the creation of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1958. The area was south of present day Lakeview Heights. This Standard-Freeholder photo was donated to the SD&G Historical Society in 1991.