The commercial block at New Town, Number 1, Ingleside, August 19, 1957.
A terrific collection of over 100 photographs depicting the new towns created as a result of the building of the St. Lawrence Seaway was donated to the archives at the Cornwall Community Museum in 2014.
The following is a small sample of the images showing the development of the future town of Ingleside.
New Town No. 1 looking east on Avenue 1 from Farran Drive, Oct. 1957.
The new settlement was made for the former inhabitants of Aultsville, Dickinson’s Landing, Farran’s Point and Wales.
The centre was officially opened by Ontario Premier Leslie Frost on June 27, 1959.
The story of Ingleside, Long Sault and the Lost Villages is told through words and rare historic photographs in Ian Bowering’s and Lor Pelton’s new book THE LIVING RIVER – SECRETS of the ST. LAWRENCE, published by Quarry Press.
The book is available at the Cornwall Community Museum for $30, if mailed plus postage.
For information email: Ian10@bellnet.ca or call Ian at 613 936-0280
The photographs shown in this essay are representative of the photographs in the book, but in most instances the book has other formerly unpublished images.