This historic commercial sign was purchased at a flea market subsequent to the King George Hotel’s demise in 1997. This Old Fort tavern sign also promotes the other King George Hotel taverns: Tropicana Bar and the 4C’s Lounge. Measuring 56 cm x 243 cm, the plastic sign is a considerable size.
The King George Hotel was built as a private residence by Dr. Noah Dickinson in the 1820s. It was never used as a home, but served as the County Court House, barracks, ballroom and concert hall. It became the American House around 1873; then the Balmoral House before at the turn of the 20th century and finally the King George in 1910. The hotel complex was destroyed by fire on Valentines’ Day, 1997.
The establishment was known to accept Canadian Tire money at par for beer.