Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | April 15, 2017

Morrisburg – Waddington Ferry.

The Morrisburg – Waddington Ferry.

Originally named H.C.M. No. 17, this vessel was built in Montreal in 1904 as a grain elevator.

The boat was eventually acquired by the Morrisburg – Waddington Transportation Co., and renamed M.V. Morrisburg and Skippered by Douglas Cassel.

To learn more about this vessel and various ferries that sailed the waters of the St. Lawrence see THE LIVING RIVER – SECRETS OF THE ST. LAWRENCE, from Montreal to Cornwall to Prescott, by Lor Pelton and Ian Bowering, and published by Quarry Press.

In Cornwall the book is only available at the Cornwall Community Museum for $30.  The museum is open Wed. to Sun. 10 am to 4 pm.

For information email:  Ian10@bellnet.ca.

Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | April 15, 2017

The Town Hall Restaurant, Cornwall.

Remember the Town Hall Restaurant, on the southeast corner of Pitt and 2nd? (now Pommier’s parking lot.)

Publican Ray Henstock is shown here in this 1992 “Standard-Freeholder” photograph saluting his patrons with a mug of Guiness.

Ray and his wife Clara renovated the old Colossus in 1992 to give the consuming public a taste of an authentic English pub.  They closed in 1997, but the fish and chips live on at Ye Old English Fish ‘n Chip Shop at 9 1st St. E.

Menu 1992.

Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | April 13, 2017

Grand Trunk Railway Station – Moulinette; The Raymond Family home, Long Sault.

The Snetsinger Family donated this early 20th century photograph of the Grand Trunk Railway Station at Moulinette in 1979.

The Raymond Family homestead, circa 1908.

The Raymond Family in front of their home on the Canadian side of the Long Sault Rapids.  The home, now gone, remained on the Long Sault Parkway for many years after the drowning of the Rapids.

These are just two of the over 160 historic photographs in book THE LIVING RIVER – SECRETS OF THE ST. LAWRENCE, from Montreal to Cornwall to Prescott, published by Quarry Press, and authored by Lor Pelton and Ian Bowering, available from Quarry Press, or only at the Cornwall Community Museum, now open Wed. to Sun. from 10 am to 4 pm. for $30.

Information:  Ian10@bellnet.ca

 

Posted by: Media Manager | April 13, 2017

Cornwall’s Historic Canal (1842-1958)

One of the current exhibits at your Cornwall Community Museum deals with the historic Cornwall Canal.

This photo postcard shows some of the 1898 Canal work under examination.

This Valentine & Sons postcard gives a view of the front of the Canal and the office.

Land and water transportation appear to meet; note the trolley car to the left.

In this colourized postcard, a Canada Steamship Lines vessel is in Lock 19.

This next series of images is taken from an engineering drawing labelled: “Cornwall Canal: Sketch of Gate and Protection, south end of culvert, east of Lock No. 18.”

Front elevation.

Top View of Protection Timbers.

Sectional View.

Top of Gate.

Some Post-Confederation Cornwall Canal milestones 
1869 350′ addition to upper entrance pier at Lock 21, waste weir at Lock 17, dredging above Lock 20
1871/72 Dredging below Lock 21
1874 Recommendation to deepen the St, Lawrence canals, placing Lock 21 abt 1/4 mile above then existing lock
1877 New entrance and work affecting Locks 17 & 18
1884/85 The 1874 recommendations were implemented
1891 Five locks (21) added to Cornwall Canal
1893-98 Sheek’s Island Dams construction
1894 New Locks 18, 19, 20 in use
1897 Original entrance docks converted to dry docks
1899 Improvements at Upper Entrance west of Lock 21
1902-04 Strengthen & widen north bank east of Pitt St
1904 Cedar Rapids Manufacturing & Power Co was incorporated
1905 Improvements affecting Lock 17
1908-06-23 165′ of bank washed out above Lock 18 collapsing ONYR span
1910-11 Construction of cribwork and 660′ concrete approach wall north side upper entrance Lock 17
1911 Level high areas esp. near upper dam below Lock 21
1912-14 Removed 300′ of old north entrance wall below Lock 15 & constructed new wall in new location, tore down & rebuilt south entrance call
1920- Constructed Powerhouse & head race for Cdn Cottons Co
1924-25 Raised banks, roads, walls abt 18″ to 2′ above the Guard Gate to Lock 21
1934- Constructed 14′ canal to by-pass the Long Sault Rapids
1958-06-30 Officially closed after rapids drowned and Seaway opened
1967 Harbour opened
1971-11-01 Parts of the Canal were filled in

This is but a sampling of the many Cornwall memories preserved at your Cornwall Community Museum and Archives.

Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | April 7, 2017

Knights of Columbus, Council 755, Cornwall.

Ontario Council 755 of the Knights of Columbus received its charter November 29, 1903.  The original members were the Rev. George Corbet, John McDougald, Edward O’Callaghan, T.E. Donihee, J.T. Lacroix, J.E. Tallon, J.M. Brouillette, O.T. MacDonald, John A. Chisholm, J.E. Chevrier, Dan P. Tobin, Wm. Brady, W.G. MacDonald, W. Fitzgibbon, Frank Lally, Angus Lalonde, Dr. W.B. Cavanagh, D.J. McDonell, Curtis T. Deruchie, N.B. Boulger, W.F. Donihee, Dr. P.J. Maloney, James E. McDonald, J.P. Cavanagh, J.M. McDonald, Wm. Pendergast, J.A. Sauriol, Archie McKinnon, J.J. Broderick, Oscar LeBlanc, W.J. Derochie, Edmond M. Galvin, J.C. Broderick, B. Leclair, J.P. Gormley, W.C. Burns, Dr. M. Gallivan, D.J. Gillies, J.F. O’Neil and Alex Langlois.

Ontario’s third Council, it grew to have the largest membership (over 1,250) in the province.  Counting several Cornwall mayors in its ranks since its formation, its most famous members included the Hon. Lionel Chevrier, MP Albert Lavigne, MPP Peter Manly, Brigadier-General Michael S. Dunn, Lt.-Col. A,G.F. Macdonald, mayors Angus Lalonde, Frank Lally, L.G. “Archie” Lavigne and J.A. Chisholm, to name only a few.

K. of C. installation of officers, 1956 – 57, Council 755.

Standing to the left:  L.G. Lavigne, Grand Knight, seated L to R, past Grand Knight L.T. Lawson, trustee, A. Adams, Deputy Grand Knight G. Murray, financial sec. H. Earle, Chancellor Rev. R.J. MacDonald, D.P. and trustee, A. Quig.

Standing, L to R, Inside Guard N. Villeneuve, trustee J. Piquette, Advocate C.J. Leorux, Warden T. Lussier, treasurer, H. Shields, recorder, D. MacMdonald, lecturer, E. Bourgeois, outside guard, A. Varin, The Chaplain, Rev. F.E. Lefebvre was unable to attend the installation.  Photo donated by L.G.”Archie” Lavigne.

Gabriel O’Brien, left is congratulated by Grand Knight Gerald Villeneuve standing, (Council 755) and Lawrence Lalonde, right, deputy grand knight, on his selection as 1994 “Knight of the Year,” for his outstanding service and dedication.  Photo, Sultan Jessa, “Standard-Freeholder” collection.

Jean-Guy Gauthier, followed by Angele Papineau, leads the Knights of Columbus and the Daughters of Isabella down Montreal Road as part of the June 1988 Marian Devotions, in the honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

A postcard depicting the Park House, Cornwall’s tallest home, now the home of Council 755 of the Knight’s of Columbus.

Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | April 2, 2017

Morrisburg Seaway demolition photographs.

Cornwall lost our Victorian Gothic Post Office due to progress in the name of the Seaway, while Morrisburg lost its classically inspired Molsons Bank building, Feb. 21, 1958.

Main Street Morrisburg, demolition, Feb, 6, 1958.

With the exception of the smiles on the boys’ faces, this scene could be taken from the pages of a World War II bombed out City.  Morrisburg, Main St., demolition, 1958.

These photographs were donated to the Cornwall Community Museum’s archives in 2010.

Eighty pages full of rare photographs are dedicated to the Seaway Story and the Lost Villages in the newly published book THE LIVING RIVER – SECRETS OF THE ST. LAWRENCE, Montreal to Cornwall to Prescott, by Ian Bowering and Lor Pelton and printed by Quarry Press.

The book is available from Quarry Press or in SD & G, only at the Cornwall Community Museum for $30, now open Wed. to Sunday 10 am to 4 pm.  Info.  Ian10@bellnet.ca.

Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | April 2, 2017

Artifact of the Week. Cornwall Coverlet, 2001.

This coverlet featuring attractions in Cornwall and the United Counties was commissioned by a local business in 2001 to sell as a souvenir.  The idea for mass producing this blanket did not take off, and the museum ended up purchasing it on ebay.

100% cotton, exclusively designed by Riddle & Cockrell, Inc., Burlington, North Carolina.

It depicts Cornwall’s old Town Hall, the clock tower, the Roosevelt International Bridge, Pitt Street, the old Post Office, Lancaster Cairn, Glengarry Highland Games, Upper Canada Village and St. Raphael’s Ruins.

The museum is now open Wed. to Sun., 10 to 4, free admission.

Official unveiling of the Confederation Era Parlour, 2 pm, April 8th, 2017.

Posted by: Media Manager | April 1, 2017

One of Cornwall’s oldest buildings

Here’s a flashback for you. This historic business location dates back to the 1800s and has been home to many different ventures. Can you place it?

This is but one of many historic Cornwall photographs on file in the Archives at your Cornwall Community Museum.

Many interesting theories were posited as to the location; as some observed, it’s 9 First Street East. The building served many purposes over the years, including Ye Olde English Fish “n” Chips Shop, a tailor shop, a gun store/shoe repair, a studio on the second floor, etc. In the uncropped version we can see the edge of the building next door on the n.e. corner of First Street East at Pitt Street.

First St E_9_WM
Click on this LINK to see the location as it is now.

Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | March 31, 2017

Photograph of the Week. The construction of the Seaway Building, Cornwall.

Pitt Street looking south towards the northwest corner, during the construction of the Seaway Building.

This photograph was donated to the archives of the Cornwall Community Museum in 1991 by the “Standard-Freeholder.”

Posted by: Cornwall Community Museum | March 31, 2017

Menu SS Rapids Prince.

Luncheon Menu from the “S.S. Rapids” Prince.

This is an example of just one of the 20 plus vessels that sailed on the St. Lawrence between Montreal and Prescott discussed in LIVING THE RIVER – SECRETS OF THE ST. LAWRENCE, printed by Quarry Press and written by Lor Pelton and Ian Bowering.

 

 

 

 

The “gang” from Courtaulds on a company cruise on the “S.S. Rapids Prince.

 

 

 

 

 

This 220 page plus book is only available at the Cornwall Community Museum for $30, and now open from Wed. to Sunday 11 am to 4 pm.

Info.  Ian10@bellnet.ca

 

 

 

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »

Categories

Cornwall Industry

A Cornwall Community Museum Blog

Streets of Cornwall

Pitt St. and Beyond

Cornwall Canal and Shipping History

A Cornwall Community Museum Publication

Cornwall Community Museum

In The Wood House at the waterfront, Cornwall, Ontario, Canada