Fairview was one of the early suburbs in the former Cornwall Township that became a Cornwall neighbourhood on January 1, 1957 when the City annexed much of the Township. The name Fairview no longer appears on Cornwall maps.
Originally Fairview was bounded on the north by Fifth Street West. on the east by the Town limits (Cumberland Street), on the south by Second Street West and on west by Laflecheville (east of Gulf Street). The above aerial photo looks south towards 2nd St. W.
A map dated 14 December, 1881 identifies the area simply as Maple Field Farm.
Here is a depiction of Fairview then and now:
From 1904-1913, the areas which became known as Laflecheville and Fairview (2nd to 5th and Cumberland to Wood Lane/later Brookdale) housed a pre-cursor to the current Cornwall Golf and Country Club. It was the third in a succession of five golf club sites, culminating with the present site on the former Guy Carleton Colquhoun farm.
Within a previously undeveloped area on the southwest side of Fairview, a survey was created for a pie-shaped parcel of land on March 21, 1927 and assented to by the Township on July 27, 1927. It was described as a Subdivision of Lot ‘B’ in the Subdivision of Fairview. The stated owners of the parcel of land were A.N. Smith, H.C. McLean, H.G. Yates and C.C. Munro. According to the 1927 City Directory, just two homes were in Fairview, on the north side of Second Street.
This lovely house at the corner of 2nd St W at Cumberland St was the Smith / McMartin house prior to Legion ownership.
Branch 297 of the Royal Canadian Legion in 1950.
Branch 297 of the Royal Canadian Legion in 1961 prior to the Glens Lounge addition.
Branch 297 of the Royal Canadian Legion subsequent to the Glens Lounge addition. Although the current entrance is on Cumberland Street, the original structure fronted on 2nd St W and the address continues to be 415 2nd St W.
This L-shaped building on the n.w. corner of Fourth Street West and Cumberland Streets began its life as the Powdrell & Alexander (Canada) Limited Curtain Factory at what would later be known as 425 4th St W. In 1937 Arthur Laverty organised the Cornwall Textile Workers Union at Canadian Coloured Cottons Limited and Powdrell and Alexander Curtain Factory. In 1948 Canadian Coloured Cottons Limited purchased the Powdrell and Alexander curtain factory, renaming it the Glengarry mill. In 1959, after the closure of three cotton mills, the plant was purchased by National Grocers for $200,000. One of two Fingerhut facilities operated there for a time. Later Crane Supply operated out of the west portion of the building at 233 Yates Avenue at Fourth Street West. In December of 1981 in a 300 sq ft section of the building on Cumberland St, the Bellemare family launched a fruit and vegetable business that evolved into the successful Farm Boy chain of grocers. In October of 1984, the Bellemaires merged their business with a family member at a 5,000 sq ft site on Sydney Street and have since expanded to other Ontario communities, thus far including 19 0ther stores in Ottawa, Kingston, London, Kitchener and Whitby. Many small manufacturing, service and retail businesses have and do call the building their home today. Welcome improvements to the facade are recent.
To return to our main post on Historic Cornwall neighbourhoods, please follow this LINK.