West Front was not one of the early suburbs in the former Cornwall Township that became a Cornwall neighbourhood on January 1, 1957 when the City annexed much of the Township. Rather, it was an area along both sides of Provincial Hwy 2 (Second Street West) starting immediately west of Smithville and the former Roosevelt Bridge. West Front overlapped several Riverdale suburbs. The name West Front no longer appears on Cornwall maps.
At the eastern end of the former West Front was West Front Public School (SSNo. 2). The 1923 building received an addition after tenders were called for in 1947. The building later became offices for the Public School Board and later yet, was sold to private interests. The structure still stands today (2015), although the original brick has been cladded over.
Maple Crest Dairy, located at 909 Second Street West, was one of the dairies purchased by Cameron’s in 1968. Please follow this LINK to read about it. The property later sold bulk feed and is the site of a hair salon today (2015). To view our feature article on Maple Crest Dairy, please follow this LINK.
Located at 917 Second Street west, the Paragon Motel would become the Seaway Motor Inn and finally Murphy’s Inn. An indoor pool was added.
1127 Second Street West was home to the Sunset Motel.
The Riverdale Motel, originally operated by the Lawns, was located at 1504 Second Street West. The building was demolished long ago.
Another of the many Seaway era tourist accommodations was the Cosey Corner Cabins at 1613 Second Street West.
In this photo from the Filion family collection we see Mac’s Snack Bar in the bottom right corner, operated by John and Hazel Dent. The street numbering once ended at 1734 (site of today’s trailer court, east of the soccer field.) This business was further west and without a street number ca. 1959. Lock 19 is directly behind.
This Fina station was located near the hydro dam, west of Mac’s Snack Bar. It’s difficult to say with 100% certainty, but the lettering on the building appears to read: “Meals” and “Spaghetti House”. The Sky-way Restaurant with its curb-side service was once a spaghetti house and it was located on the land which is now (2015) the parking lot for the soccer field. This photo was taken during the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway and is from the same album in Filion family collection.
1951 advertisement for Sky-way Restaurant in old West Front.
To return to our main post on Historic Cornwall neighbourhoods, please follow this LINK.